Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Quick update

Hi Everyone!

It has been about 3.5 weeks since my surgery now...and life recovering from a craniotomy and tending to a newborn are busy...and that is an understatement! I haven't posted much as the baby keeps me busy and any extended time on the computer really fatigues my brain and causes excess eye strain. I am lucky to have such great help with the baby so that I can rest a little more than most mom's with a new baby!

I just wanted to let you all know that slowly but surely I am making progress! As I reflect on the symptoms that have resolved, I am reminded at how far I have come! I am blessed for the outcome thus far and continue to pray that all will resolve/ improve.

Also, local ABC news media did a piece on our story (I posted this already on facebook a week or so ago) and I think that there may be some other media coverage coming....I will post if this is the case....http://www.wisn.com/video/23956845/index.html


I am just so thrilled to be alive with a healthy baby..I wanted to list out some of the things that have improved from prior to surgery and I am thankful for...and that I will never take for granted again....

I can now walk without help...in the last weeks before surgery I had to hold on to my husband or mom

I can look up at a menu at a place like starbucks with my eyes (and not move my head)

I can wash my hair without getting water/soap in my left eye because it didn't close tightly

The left half of my face doesn't feel like its asleep with a 10lb weight

I can feel my tongue
I can drink out of a glass without dribbling fluid out of my mouth

I can put eye makeup on again because I can focus my eyes to do so (and can now feel my eyelid)

My left arm has better coordination when I type! I was starting to hit the caps lock key all of the time...ugh!

My smile is symmetrical again

My left eye is the same size as my right eye 95% of the time...it was bulging prior to surgery.

I have full facial function post surgery!!!

Did I mention my adorable baby that is happy and healthy despite his early arrival (and spending the first month of his life living in a hotel/hospital)?! He really is my miracle baby! I am biased of course, but I think is the most adorable little guy. Holding him sets my heart at ease. He is growing so fast! I love every minute of being a mom!

My husband has never left my side. He has been so supportive and selfless. He is the most amazing dad. I am thankful every second of the day that he asked me to marry him. He helps me find strength I never knew I had.

My mom has been taking care of Parker and I for over a month and a half. She has done more for us than you can imagine...feedings, diapers, laundry a shoulder to cry on and motivation to move forward...and on and on...

I am thankful for all of you: my friends, family and neighbors. WOW is all I can say about the things you have done for us! They say God only gives us what we can handle. I think that he gave me each and every one of you to help me through, because this was more than I could handle alone!


I am still waiting for my eyes to track fully together, but I can tell that they are slowly improving with each week! I have to practice looking side to side. I continue to try to adjust to hearing only out of my right ear. Noisy places and large crowds are intimidating and I can only take them in small doses right now. I still have a decent amount of that 'wonky' head feeling, but I know I need to be patient as it has only been 3.5 weeks! Same for the fatigue as I tire quickly. All of these things will just take time and patience.

It is great to be on the other side...the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders, and I am so thankful and blessed to be typing this message. I have hope and I believe that all will continue to get better. I am not ready to drive yet. I have another week of restrictions on lifting, sneezing etc and then I get to start vestibular (balance) and physical therapy. I can't wait to be working out again! My incisions are all healing nicely, but I think the longest healing process will be the emotional one.


Thanks again all of you for your support. Every comment posted helped me get through this. I can't tell you how much hearing from everyone helped. It made me feel like I was never alone on this journey. I will be forever grateful.

I will post more when I can, but my brain is now maxed and I need to sleep! Fingers crossed baby Parker will start sleeping through the night in a few weeks!!!!

7 comments:

  1. note to self: stop reading these posts at work! I feel a bit silly wiping tears at my desk! Thanks for the post, Kris - you continue to remind me to appreciate the wonderful things we have in our lives. Keep up the AMAZING work!
    -Audra

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful update, I really enjoyed reading that! I have to agree about the reading at work thing, my boss just walked by and spared asking me why I was so teary-eyed! We really want to come up some time maybe end of summer, so we'll have to chat soon. I look so forward to reading your posts. Lots of love to you and the family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are sooooo glad that all the prayers have worked! You are so strong Kris! Its amazing. You and Michael deserve onkly the best in life after having to go through this! I cant wait to see you guys in the future! Much love... Lettie and Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful news! And a wonderful reminder that each day is a gift. Your story is a blessing, Kris. Praying for you and your family every day. Keep that positive spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kris, you are awesome! You have come so far in such a short time. Your post may have made me cry (pregnancy hormones perhaps???). Anyway, so glad everything is slowly getting back to normal. It sounds like you are all doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are so happy to hear that you, Mike and Parker are doing well. Your courage and strength is such an inspiration. It's these experiences that remind us to celebrate life! We'll continue to pray for your recovery. - Lindsey & Mike

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Ones, your journey has been a trial, tribulation and miracle. God has been with you each step of the way and will continue to hold you up. Your strength, faith and love is an inspiration to all of us. Love ya, Aunt B.

    ReplyDelete